Being accused of a crime is something that should always be taken seriously. Even if you plead innocence, you will still require the services of a good and able to represent you in court. Like they say, you are innocent unless proven otherwise in a court of your peers.
This is what clearly differentiates criminal cases from other types of legal action. You know for a fact that if you win the case, then you have a shot at redemption. However, if you fail, then you are most likely to serve some time in prison, not to mention the fees that you will be paying.
As such, your case should be represented by a good criminal defense lawyer in Littleton, CO. How?
The Dos of Choosing the Right Defense Lawyer
- Choose one who is really a criminal defense attorney. While many can claim that they have represented clients in the past, it pays to check with the appropriate government agency if he is Board-certified to really handle criminal cases
- It is imperative that your defense attorney can talk to you in plain English. Lawyers are generally known for using very technical words to show off their supposed competencies. You do not need that. You need someone who can communicate with you on a very personal level.
- Choose a lawyer who is able to listen to your account of the event wholeheartedly without looking down on you. He needs to be able to ask you questions in a very objective manner and provide you simple yet honest answers to your questions.
- Check their accomplishments as well as their partnership with any reputable law firms. While there are lawyers who may want to go solo, it pays to know if they have management staff with which to handle their cases as well.
The Don’ts of Choosing the Right Criminal Lawyer
- Don’t buy into the glitzy neon lights-adorned websites of some criminal defense lawyers.
- Do not be tempted to be stingy. You have to realize that your future is at stake here. While you may opt for one who can give you ridiculously low fees, if you will not be assured of your success in winning the case, will you gamble?
- Don’t just ask for the legal advice of one lawyer. Shop for the best lawyer in town. While the truly best and most sought after might be very busy to take on your case, others might be available. You will just have to actively search them out.
Unfortunately, even with these dos and don’ts to choosing the right criminal defense lawyer, there really is no guarantee that you will win the case. However, making sure you follow these tips and you are assured of increasing your chances of coming out alive from the court battle.